Welcome to the Small Chassis forum

Discussion in 'Ranger, Explorer, Bronco II and Sport Trac Forum' started by Greywolf, Apr 21, 2015.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

A 5.0 guru friend of mine across the street told me about that too.

By the way, OldJunkFords - I dunno if I mis-posted somewhere about the clearance issues. The air box on the P-side was a big deal. Slamming back the firewall on the other side was directly caused by the mount adapters.

One of my BIGS in all of this was to not only keep the radiator pretty close to where it was, but also keep the A/C condenser. When it's all said and done I can't do without AIR, and I didn't see a lot of room behind the grill for an electric fan AND the condenser.

Do you have any pics of "SHORT" snout water pumps, compared to stock ones? I'm still not sure which one I have.

2. BKW Founding Member

I know nothing about these parts, wouldn't know a GT-40 head from a henway.

3. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

I'll see if I can get you a part number Bill.

4. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Ok, the 96 3 bar GT40 head casting # is F3ZE - AA
    97 up 4 bar head GT 40P #F3ZZ -AA

Stock fuel injection head for is # E 7TE
    These are all 5.0 heads, but can be drilled to accept head bolts for 5.8

5. BKW Founding Member

I usually stay away from engine build threads, because many people that type them, buy beat to death old rolling piles of misery, but are only interested in building engines with a gazillion HP.

The thread pages go on and on and on...then the OP's vanish like farts in the wind, when they come to realize that the costs far outweigh their budgets.

Personally, I like things left "as original."

Last edited: May 15, 2015
  6. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

I like to use Ford parts.
    I usually rebuild, everything I get anyway, so I'm the one who sits in the corner just chugging away.

I like my builds to stay within Ford parts range. If I break something in a tiny town somewhere in the middle of nowhere, I can always get parts to fix it.

My stock nice things are all still stock.
    Only thing gets modified are the beyond stock repair projects

7. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

It would be nice if the low-profile valve covers I want turned out to be stamped steel stock items.

I could paint them any way I wanted to...

8. OldjunkFords Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Most of the hassles with V-8 Rangers I have dealt with came from the cooling end...........hence the notching out sheetmetal and moving the radiator forward for clearance.
    E-fans work great, start scavenging Taurus/Sable's
    We have had good luck with conventional fans by using the waterpump from a early 70s E-series van/302.

Last edited: May 17, 2015
  9. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

I've got a PAIR of fans on a 460 triple core rad that I used to have in an 82 F100. If either one of those fit it should be more than enough.

THE FANS, not the radiators. I may be dense and stubborn, but I'm not dumb....

~ I also have a matched pair of big ol' radiators that are just off to the side like old books. They fit F100 and Bronco bull nose trucks from the early eighties.

Connie vans I hadn't thought about - that's interesting. Almost all vans have space issues I'd imagine. But does that change the belt track? It's set up with a serpentine because I like the simplicity and I noticed several years ago that serpentine timing housings had better coolant ports in them.

Some of my excess materiel. The one on the right with the fans went from Norfolk, to San Diego, and back to here after going into the truck new out of the box.

[​IMG]#ad

The one on the left was "Spoils of War" after doing an engine swap for a Corpsman here in Memphis. He bought a brand new one, I don't know why. I asked if I could have the old one - and there it sits.

It's worth a lot more than a core charge...

I also have his original engine, a 351M that had only 20K on it's clock if that. I need to slap some head gaskets on it, and it will git up and run. I took the heads off to see what was going on. It didn't even have a ridge ring!

I also checked a rod and a main bearing - lots of babbit left. Guess what I want to drop in the spare Ranger frame?

*My terms of engagement at such times are very flexible. PARTS that are about to become scrap metal but are worth far more to me can sub for the days fee.

I have a commitment also to prevent rebuildable cores from falling into the hands of the likes of "GECK" (VW) and similar operations. I have a better use for them

"Pay an extra hundred bucks for a premium engine, and the whole damned thing will not be full of helicoils"

Well, do the letters "KMA" mean anything to you?

I glommed onto it, before it could fall into the wrong hands.

When I got done, I realised the guy had fried a DURASPARK-II ignition module that cost only eleven bucks, the tow truck buttholes told him he needed a new engine, and not knowing any better he tried to do it himself. When I got called into it, it was all in pieces with a crate motor on the floor of the base auto hobby shop.

And he was due to transfer to the west coast in a few weeks...

QED: A local tow truck outfit tried to scam the guy.

I picked up the pieces.

*They wanted to "BUILD" the guys engine for him. Such is Memphis...

Hate always simmers beneath the surface, when I see what jack-holes do to others. They give honest mechs a bad name

10. BKW Founding Member

Magnaflux the 351M heads, as they were very prone to cracking.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >