WHAT is "Corrosion", How does it work? What does it do? How do you stop it?

Discussion in 'The Fabricators Corner' started by Greywolf, May 16, 2015.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

I'm thinking about using NAVAL JELLY on a number of places in my new acquisitions to surface convert the metal into a substance that can't be attacked by normal corrosion processes. The way that works is that a corrosive that is not normally encountered in nature is applied so that a form of corrosion does happen - but it cannot continue because the corrosive is never available to the metal again. Similar to "GUN BLUEING" (selenic acid) it protects by attacking the surface in a way that changes it to a chemical composition that is impervious to other forms of corrosion.

Once that is done it can be painted over...

You will find it in the 509 manuals as "Surface Conversion"

2. mete

Just found this thread !!
    Naval Jelly is just phosphoric acid in a gel..A mild acid .Coke Cola is the biggest customer for phosphoric acid - and why it can be used to remove light rust! I think your Naval Jelly is confused [unless they've changed it ] There are things on the market that do convert rust to a very stable compound
    You'll find it on google.
    The selenic acid "bluing " is the touch up type ,not for serious protection ..Real bluing involves creating an oxide layer by ' hot bluing' or 'rust bluing '.
    Galvanic corrosion can occur in many places,it just needs two different metals and a conductive liquid ! Iknew a woman who had pain after dentalwork. After questioning her I realized the dentist had put a metal filling next to an older but different alloy filling =>galvanic corrosion !!
    We get our share of problems here in the 'rust belt' but the worst I've seen is on Padre Island TX. My visit there was to solve corrosion problems .WOW , always high temperatures , high moisture .The morning haze condensed everywhere and as the sun warmed the condensate evaporating the water but that concentrated the salt in the haze !! Everything of metal had problems outdoor lighting., door locks ,every where on a car. As you leave the Island car washes told you to wash off the salt !!

3. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

Coming back over the bridge from Kitty Hawk NC I remember a sign like that. I've often thought a 'T' shaped PVC pipe sprayer could be made to connect to a hose for washing the underside of a car in the driveway, or just cap one end of a piece of PVC, drill a line of spray holes at that end, and add a hose connection to the other end so that you could reach under a car or truck and spray upwards conveniently.

4. mete

Found a website that handles different products and different companies for rust problems . TheRustStore . Learn stuff !

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >