Ranger What Year?

Discussion in 'Ranger, Explorer, Bronco II and Sport Trac Forum' started by dannyboy3141, Jul 30, 2016.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

explorer rear?

2. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

I've got one - it's a limited slip 373 that is also available in 4:10, but it's still a solid axle housing all the way across. Were later years IRS?

If there's such a thing as an Explorer with an IRS, the answer is to bag an Explorer chassis from a bone yard and bolt a Ranger cab and bed onto it. Certain year Explorers also came with a 5.0 V8 - so it could easily become a V8 Ranger toy...

SEE THIS WIKI link for detail:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Explorer

The last year of "BODY on FRAME" was 2010, and the last year I see with a 5.0L is 2005 - so if you want a frame based chassis with everything in place for a V8, '05 is the key.

You may still have a hassle with the front grill and radiator space.

I was thinking about doing this kind of wikkidness to a Ranger over four years ago, but the cash dried up.

When Explorers first hit the streets - there was a big furor over rollovers and tires. The result was that FORD went to great lengths to make the suspension far better, and they greatly improved it. My thoughts are that a bone stock later year Explorer chassis has everything you need to have an incredible advantage over the stock Ranger chassis suspensions - and they can be modified upwards from there. As far as I can tell, the wheelbase is the same.

To bolt down a Ranger cab and bed onto one should be childs play.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2016
  3. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

97 was the first year for IRS in them. also has 4 wheel disc brakes with the parking brake inside of it, like the crown vics

4. OldjunkFords Oregon Chapter Founding Member

IRS was also available on all 89-97 T-birds...............

5. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Wolfie, starting in 06, you v8 in a 'sploder is the 4.6 mod motor.
    Yeah, the WIDE one.
    I have one in the Town Car, and another one in the 06 f 150 Crew cab. That motor SCREAMS
    If you like your 351's, you will LOVE the 4.6's

6. dannyboy3141

What would you guys think about putting a Dana 44 independent rear on it? That would be more like a Jaguar rear end. Or would you guys go more like the Corvette rear end?

7. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

The rear we are talking about in the explorer is aFord 8.8

If I were building a small truck for street/ off road, I would try to stay all ford.
    Makes buying parts easier when you break things

8. dannyboy3141

There is a ford 8.8 independent rear? I did not know that. I was so bent on Dana being good axles that I really put stock Ford axles out of my mind

9. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

All the above axles we are talking about are 8.8
    They are coil spring or strut, to go with your other thread.

10. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

No matter what you do as far as travel goes clearance is going to limit it so much that travel doesn't matter, AND upwards travel will be non-existant on a lowered chassis. The truck in the video had one huge advantage the Ranger doesn't have: the wheels are outside of the body.

11. dannyboy3141

Someone recently suggested I look at using a pair of quarter ellipse leaf springs to suspend the Independent rear. What do you all think about that? Also, it would require some other way of keeping the axle on there, and I don't know if 4 link (the most suggested) is legal in my area. How would you guys link the axle?

12. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Going to have to defer the answer to that question to someone with more off road experience than me.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
virtuoso