Wiper Linkage Help

Discussion in '1953 - 1956 Ford F100, F250 and F350 Truck Forum' started by jonnytexas, Apr 8, 2020.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. jonnytexas

Ok, I will have a look. That's a great tip, thanks for the reply.

2. Greg Rogers

Jonny, you are missing the "crossbar". I got a couple poor pics under my dash. The crossbar and the little clips are needed. I would call Mid Fifty or Carpenter or whoever vendor you like and ask them what you need for sure. Take a look at these pics. You can see the crank (which I think you have) attaches to the motor, the other end attaches to crossbar... well look at the pics. Hope this helps. IMG_3094.JPG #ad
    IMG_3095.JPG #ad
    IMG_3096.JPG #ad

3. jonnytexas

Yes sir, I ordered that center link today. I'm not sure if they send the clips too, but I'm sure I've got some that will work. I appreciate your guidance on this. I called Mid Fifties last week for somr technical help, but the message said nobody was in the office and to leave a message. Never got a return phone call though.

Thanks again, for your help.

4. 56panelford TOTM Winner Founding Member Canadian Chapter

That's why pictures help..:) Your problems are solved..That's a beautiful panel there Jonny. Please post more pics of it inside and out..

5. jonnytexas

All right y'all...

First off, thanks to Greg for letting me know about the crossbar piece. I got it delivered and installed.

So, now the wipers move as they should. Up and down in the correct pattern, with the motor.

My issue now is that the motor gets bound up at a certain point in the 360 degree rotation.
    If you look at the pic below, you can see the crossbar and linkage at "stop" position. This is correct and the wiper blades are down.

When I turn on the wipers, this piece rotates counter clockwise 90 degrees and stops. Making an awful grinding/chattering noise.
    The motor fights through it, and eventually (like 3 or 4 seconds later) continues on it's cycle. Same thing on each rotation.

I tried to attach a video of it in motion, but got an error saying the attachment was too large.

I noticed that the driver's side linkage was loose on the crossbar post, so I put some plastic washers on the give it some firmness. Did not help.
    I'd be happy to email the video to anyone who thinks they can help.

Any ideas as to why the motor gets stuck after 1/4 revolution?

0501202144[1].jpg #ad

6. Greg Rogers

Can you get under there and watch what it does when it stops? From here looks like motor crank may be hitting on sheet metal. Looks like can see paint rubbed off? Maybe motor is mounted too far toward engine, so the crank doesn't clear the oval hole?? Well you're getting closer!

7. jonnytexas

Yes, I can see the missing paint and how it would look like it's making contact there, by it isn't. I'm gonna take it completely out again and see if re-assembly helps narrow down the issue.

When I take the passenger side linkage off, the wiper motor spins 360 degrees with no problems. I need to run it with drivers off and passenger on to see if it binds up. There must be a geometry issue with the way the two linkage arms are putting pressure on the mounting posts of the center link.

8. Greg Rogers

Maybe you can try switching side to side? Seems to me I could get one side to work but other wouldn't and I switched side to side and all worked. But I can't remember for sure. Well, I just looked at both our pics again and it looks like yours it connected just as mine is... dunno,,,???

9. tom Founding Member

I can't help with the wiper problem but I know one thing for sure now. My '56 panel will be two-tone! It might be primer for a while but by golly it will be two-tone primer!

10. tvpitts

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >